myki charges you a fare when you touch off. If you do not touch off at the end of your trip, the myki system does not have all the information it needs to calculate your fare and will charge a default fare. This ensures you pay for each trip.
This table shows current full fare default fares. Default fare charges may change in the future.
|Default fares (Metropolitan Zones 1 & 2)^
|Concession, child and seniors myki users are charged 50 per cent of these fares
|2 hour Zone 1&2 fare
|2 hour Zone 1 fare
|Touch on in Zone 1
|2 hour Zone 1 fare
|Touch on in Zone 2
|2 hour Zone 2 fare
^Information about V/Line default fares will be available soon. In the interim, please refer to the myki Fares and Ticketing Manual for V/Line train and coach default fares.
A default fare is not a penalty and in many cases is the fare you would have paid if you did touch off. Examples include:
- the default fare on trams is a 2-hour Zone 1 fare
- the default fare on trains is a 2-hour Zone 1&2 fare.
The system charges a default fare the next time you touch on – this may be later the same day, or the following day, week, month etc. The myki reader screen displays a green light and red light together. You will also see a message showing the “fare deducted for last trip”, even if it is $0.00*, as shown here:
Default fares contribute towards your myki money daily cap. This means you will not be charged unlimited default fares if you repeatedly fail to touch off. A default fare applies to your previous trip (after which you failed to touch off) and contributes to the daily cap for that day.
*The default fare is $0.00 if:
- you have an existing 2-hour myki money product for the zone(s) in which you are travelling
- you have already reached the myki money daily cap
- you have a myki pass and touch on in a zone for which your pass is valid.
- Travel by train Zone 1 to Zone 2 on Tuesday night and do not touch off – no fare charged.
- Touch on in Zone 2 on Wednesday morning – default fare for Tuesday night travel applied - $5.92 (contributes to Tuesday daily cap).
- Travel by train Zone 2 to Zone 1 on Wednesday morning – fare charged at touch off – $5.92.
- Travel by train Zone 1 to Zone 2 on Wednesday night – fare charged at touch off – $5.92.
$5.92 – Default fare for Tuesday travel
$11.84 – Wednesday travel (daily cap)
$17.76 – Total myki money charged
- Touch on at 7.15am on Thursday morning and travel by train Zone 1 to Zone 1 and touch off – fare charged $3.50.
- Touch on at 7.54am and travel by tram and do not touch off – no fare charged
- Touch on at 8.17 and travel by tram – default fare for 7.54am tram trip applied – $0.00 (within 2 hour expiry time of 10.00 am of product created at 7.15am) and do not touch off – no fare charged.
- Touch on at 12.45pm and travel by tram – default fare for 8.17am tram trip applied – $0.00 (within 2 hour product expiry time of 10.00 am) and do not touch off – no fare charged.
- Touch on at 1.18pm and travel by tram – default fare for 12.45pm tram trip applied – $3.50 and do not touch off – no fare charged.
- Touch on at 5.37pm and travel by train Zone 1 to Zone 1 – fare charged at touch off – $0.00 (Zone 1 myki money daily cap already reached).
$7.00 – Thursday travel (Zone 1 daily cap)